Experimental Water Media Exhibition – April 1 – 3, 2022
Entries Open: December 1, 2021
Entries Close: February 1, 2022 @ 8:00 pm
Entry Instructions, Rules, and Artwork Requirements:
You must be an Active WSO member residing in Oregon, with 2022 dues paid to enter. You may renew your membership by following the prompts.
A maximum of two images may be submitted. Only one image by any one artist may be selected by the Juror.
- All work, including composition and design, must be the original creation of the artist and shall not be from the
work of any other artists or photographers, with or without the original artist’s permission.
- All reference materials, including photographs, must be the creation of the artist.
- Work may be critiqued by a teacher and/or critique group and must have been executed without step-by-step
- Work may not be altered once the image is submitted, with the exception of adding the artist’s signature.
Three Dimensional Substrates
- Any archival, 3-dimensional board, cradle board, panel, or canvas can be used.
- If canvas is used, it must be gallery wrapped and may be a watercolor or regular canvas.
- On all 3-dimensional surfaces (cradle board or canvas), all exposed edges must be finished with paint with no staples or other hardware visible.
- On cradle board: works painted on paper and adhered to the cradle board are acceptable.
- Paint applied directly to the surface of the cradle board is also acceptable.
- Depth must be 2” or less.
- All 3-dimensional surfaces (cradle board or canvas) will come with optional framing.
- All surfaces must have a waterproof coating or protective sealant.
- If framing is chosen, the framing specifications will be detailed in the acceptance packet (and will be the same as before.)
- Minimum outside dimensions are 256 square inches (height x width of outside of frame, cradle board, or canvas.)
- Maximum outside dimensions are 1200 square inches (height x width of outside of frame, cradle board, or canvas.)
Two Dimensional Substrates
- Any treated or untreated archival board or paper including BUT NOT LIMITED to: Aquaboard, Clayboard, Illustration Board, Yupo Paper, Tyvek Paper, Watercolor Paper, Rice Paper, Silk Paper or Rag Paper are acceptable.
- A waterproof coating or protective sealant is acceptable and optional.
- Mats are optional.
- A frame is required, and the framing specifications will be detailed in the acceptance packet (and will be the same as before). If the painting is varnished, the use of Plexiglass (only) becomes optional. (Plexiglas is a brand name.)
- Minimum outside dimensions are 256 square inches (height x width of outside of frame.)
- Maximum outside dimensions are 1200 square inches (height x width of outside of frame.)
- Paintings executed in traditional watercolor on paper ARE acceptable
- All water-media are acceptable and are defined as media that can be diluted with water when applied.
- Media other than water-media are acceptable but are limited to no more than 20% of the painting.
- Collage may be used with no percentage restrictions, following these guidelines: All collage materials must be the original design of the artist, executed on an acceptable substrate (as mentioned above), and using acceptable media in the percentages described above. Found items such as text clippings, computer-generated art, or documents are not permissible.
- Water-based monotypes (one pull from a plate) are acceptable.
6. How to Enter
- Images must be in jpg format, set at 300 dpi, and sized at 1200 pixels on the longest side.
- Name your image as follows (example): SmithMary-GoneWithTheWind.jpg
- Fill out and submit the entry form.
You may download a *.pdf of the requirements.
7. Accepted Paintings
Once a painting is accepted, it must be available and delivered to the convention exhibition. Artists who do not make an accepted painting available for the exhibition will not be allowed to enter WSO exhibitions for two years.
Call a help volunteer. The phone numbers are in your roster. For PC’s, contact Mary Elle. For Macs, contact Charlotte Peterson.
Entry and Exhibition Dates
November 1, 2021 (Monday): Registration for the Juror’s workshop opens for active members.
December 1, 2021 (Wednesday): Online entries for painting submissions open.
February 1, 2022 (Tuesday) 8:00 pm: Deadline for online painting submission entries. All entries must be received by this date.
March 1, 2022 (Tuesday): Notification sent to artists of 80 selected paintings.
March 26-29, 2022 (Saturday-Tuesday): Deadline to ship paintings to Convention Co-chair Zsuzsa Vamos. You can find her address in the WSO Membership Roster Handbook.
March 31, 2022 (Thursday), 10:00 am – 2:00 pm: Deadline to hand deliver paintings to the WSO painting check-in team at the Brookwood Public Library (2850 NE Brookwood Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124).
April 1, 2022: Show opens to the public.
May 31, 2022 (Tuesday), 10:00 am – 2:00 pm: Painting pickup at Brookwood Public Library.
Please note: Paintings will be on display at the library for two months.