Due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 Coronavirus we’ve made significant changes to our usual convention and workshop “formula.” You’ll find we’ve created an alternative, safe experience for all. We’ve all been inspired to look at this unparalleled time in our history as a series of new opportunities for the Watercolor Society of Oregon. We will not be registering for a physical fall convention or workshop. However, your convention co-chairs have put together a fabulous plan! Some features of our upcoming 2020 Fall Convention:
- Our juror, Kristi Grussendorf is offering a virtual demo for all members. It is scheduled for our typical “Convention Sunday;” and the cost is the same $15 we’ve paid in the past for our juror demos. To register, go here.
- 30 lucky members will be able to register for a 2-day virtual mini-workshop and Paint Along with Kristi. Members that had previously registered for the physical workshop remain registered for this event.
- We will have both a virtual show and a physical show in old town Newberg. Paintings will hang in the Parrish Gallery through November and will be featured on both the WSO website and that of the Chehalem Cultural Center.
- The 80 artists whose work is selected for the 2020 Fall show will receive further information regarding our new safe painting drop off process.
- Exhibition Awards will be fully funded with ribbons affixed to the award winning work at the Parrish Gallery. Kristi will comment specifically on each of the award winners via video, which will also be available on the WSO website.
- We will again select our “People’s Choice” award winner virtually.
- WSO will not have a dedicated reception; however, the Parrish Gallery’s “First Friday” community reception is open to all. The Cultural Center will manage physical distancing, visitor volume, and any other recommended safety measures in place at the time of the exhibition.
- We have 2 special awards which will be granted. YouTube videos of both presentations will be featured on the WSO website. You’ll want to tune in for those!
- The WSO 100 Club will be raffling 4 first-rate gift baskets full of items every artist will love. This traditional raffle and the patron drive are typically held at each WSO convention. The events this fall are critically important, since there was no Spring 2020 convention. Our patron donors fund both our exhibition awards and our educational grants.
- We have a new slate of Officers! As mandated by our bylaws, you will receive an email link so that you may place your vote for the incoming WSO leadership team. As always, we need a quorum voting to recognize the vote. So please vote!
I hope you are as excited about the upcoming events as we are! On August 1, 2020, you will be sent an email with a link to your digital Watermark newsletter. The Watermark “Yellow Pages” article from your convention co-chairs Patrice Cameron and Anji Grainger will provide specific, detailed convention information and links for you, including the link to the Mini-Workshop and Paint Along registration. There is also an article about our vendors by Sharon Rackham-King. If you plan to attend the exhibition at the Parrish Gallery, consider a side trip to Merri-Artist (I know I will). They are in McMinnville, only a short distance from the Chahalem Cultural Center in Newberg.
Please watch closely for emails from “WSO”. There will be several over the next few weeks, keeping you informed and providing links to the critical information and opportunities available to you.
My thanks for your time!
Enjoy this preview of the planned Fall Convention in Newberg! We’re sorry it won’t happen like we envisioned!