Ken and Stephanie Goldman WSO Workshops April 2021
Supply List: Stephanie Goldman (Monday)
- Paper sizes can be varied 9×12 to 11×14
- Hot Press 140 lb Arches or Sennellier Watercolor Paper
- Strathmore Toned Gray Paper Sketch Book
- .03 Mechanical Pencil HB
- .05 Mechanical Pencil HB
- .07 Mechanical Pencil HB
- 2B, 4B, 6B Woodless Pencil
- Kneaded Eraser
- Tuff Stuff Eraser Stick
- White Gouache, Black Gouache
- Water Soluble Black Ink
- 1, 2, 4 Round Watercolor Brush
- 4 or 6 Flat Watercolor Brush
- Ruler or Straight Edge
Description: Stephanie Goldman (Monday)
THE VALUE OF VALUES
CLASSICAL REALISM: PENCIL WITH WHITE GOUACHE, INKS AND WASHES
An Old “New” Approach To Drawing And Gouache Painting
Recently, while traveling abroad, Stephanie developed a “new” way to create stunning tonal Gouache Paintings. In this workshop, Stephanie will help you create small jewel-like paintings with three mechanical pencils, ink, a kneaded eraser, brushes and white gouache on toned paper. Working from an iPhone or iPad, participants can use any preferred subject, whether from travels abroad or simply animals, figures or portraits. Stephanie is well known for her ability to help each person find their own unique drawing ability, in their own way, without feeling overwhelmed.
Supply List: Ken Goldman (Tuesday)
If you are intermediate or advanced please use the materials you most prefer.
- 18×24″ Newsprint with 3/16″ 19×25 foam core drawing board and clips
- Soft medium thickness Vine Charcoal
- Kneaded eraser
- Your favorite watercolor supplies
Description: Ken Goldman (Tuesday)
SKETCHING AND DESIGNING SPACE WITH MULTIPLE FIGURES
For many beginners, it is tempting to be overly literal about figure drawing. Detailed study is important when there is unlimited time, but during this short Zoom workshop, we will focus primarily on effective ways to simplify and depict the figure in terms of gesture, rhythm, design, flat shapes and simplified light/dark areas (using pencil, charcoal, pen/wash, watercolor and certain simple measuring techniques.) The poses will range in length from 2 – 20 minutes plus a longer portrait. If you participate in figure sketch groups, what we do in this workshop will add a whole new dimension to your drawing and painting skills.
This speedy time-lapse video of a demo at Watercolor West in Brea summarizes what I would teach. Since they did not have a live model, I used sketches from my drawing pad.
Ken’s teaching plan:
- Figure gesture drawing in charcoal to warm up.
- Figure gesture in watercolor using a variety techniques including painting into an abstract background and water soluble pens and markers.
- A watercolor portrait.
These four PDF’s show a pencil portrait, watercolor portrait, gesture drawing tutorial, and the colors I use for portraits.
Folks can either work from their own life sketches like I did or use a good photo with good lighting.